Robert T. Hill
(917) 605-1050 voice / firstname.lastname@example.org
Seeking to apply my technical writing, QA, training, research, web development, and project management skills to the documentation of web technologies in DITA/XML and Agile environments.
Technical Writer / Trainer / Researcher / Assistant Project Manager
- Over 15 years’ experience as a professional technical writer, trainer, researcher, and assistant project manager.
- Wide-ranging experience in the financial, medical, advertising, educational, and Internet industries.
- Expert-level experience with DITA/XML, HTML5, JIRA, Confluence, Drupal, WordPress, and a wide variety of content management systems.
- Experience with Agile, ISO 9000, and IEEE engineering methodologies, requirements management, software development and marketing, application design, virtual reality development, web development, QA and validation, and general business writing.
- Proven ability to work with existing documentation sets as well as founding documentation protocols where none existed before.
Familiar Tools and Technologies:
- Publishing Tools: DITA/XML, Oxygen XML, Confluence, FrameMaker, RoboHelp, AuthorIT, WordPress, Drupal.
- Bug Tracking and Change Management Tools: JIRA, PVCS, Bugzilla, Documentum, Visual SourceSafe.
- Web Development Tools: SharePoint, Dreamweaver, HomeSite, NetObjects Fusion, WebSphere, and other HTML editors.
- Graphic Tools: Photoshop, SnagIt, Illustrator, Visio, GIMP, and a variety of presentation systems.
- M.A. Labor Studies, Murphy Institute for Worker Education, School of Professional Studies, CUNY, June 2011. Magna cum laude. Capstone course was study of H-1B visa data, comparing wages of H-1B vs. domestic workers for certain I.T. jobs.
- B.A. History, City College of New York, February 2006. Magna cum laude. Focus on Asian and Chinese history, but also with extensive classes from the Computer Science Department.
Siemens Diagnostics, Inc. May 2016 to Present
- Contractor. Senior Technical Writer 4.
- Technical writer for various public-facing user help, training, and marketing materials for medical diagnostic immunoassay machines.
- DITA/XML, using Structured FrameMaker.
- Frequently editing documents in XML source code mode using Notepad ++.
- Shepherding documentation, originally written in English, through the translation process into 27 different languages.
- Managing UI string, Operator Guides, Online Help, and Release Notes in 27 languages through a rigorous documentation process.
Amplify Education, Inc. March 2013 to October 2015.
- Employee. Senior Technical Writer.
- Designed, built, and maintained public-facing Amplify Learning App User Help system.
- Agile development environment.
- Also designed, built, and maintained an additional public-facing Amplify Learning Online Resources site (password required), facilitating a wide variety of curriculum trials as well as a multimedia delivery for certain products.
- Used heavily customized Confluence CMS system, editing Confluence at the XML level to remove unwanted elements from the UI, dependent on user role.
Depository Trust and Clearing Corporation (DTCC). May 2011 to December 2012.
- Consultant. COBOL/Java application Technical Writer.
- User guide and scenario-based help, written in Confluence wiki format.
Student at CUNY Murphy Institute for Worker Education. September 2009 to June 2011.
- M.A. in Labor Studies.
- Graduated June 2011, magna cum laude.
Merrill Lynch. March 2007 to September 2009.
- Consultant. C++ App Technical Writer and Assistant Project Manager.
- “Ticking Risk” Risk Management System technical documentation. Technical and Functional Specifications, Doxygen Map of C++ Source Code, User Guides.
- Variety of other system and user documentation for dozens of back-end systems and applications.
- Extensive automated reporting by coding Confluence pages to draw data from JIRA work tracking system to display project management data.
- Regular reports to senior management documenting resource allocation against measurable system performance improvements.
J. P. Morgan Chase. August 2006 to February 2007.
- Consultant. Assistant Project Manager and Technical Writer. 6-month contract.
- Created and primarily responsible for change control management system, formal QA testing, release notes, and complete documentation set for in-house .JSP application.
- Created and produced wide variety of reports and progress tracking tools.
Student at City College of New York. January 2002 to February 2006.
- B.A. in History.
- Graduated February 2006, magna cum laude.
PeopleSoft, Teaneck, NJ. November 2000 to April 2001.
- Consultant. Technical Writer. 6-month contract.
- Created 800+ pages of HTML user documentation for two PeopleSoft applications.
- Online help was web-based and integrated into the product in a context-sensitive manner.
- Included project management intranet site to distribute documents to developers for review and editing.
LivePerson, New York, NY. November 1999 to October 2000.
- Employee. Publications Manager.
- Responsible for managing a team of three technical writers and three web developers in the design, creation, and maintenance of all corporate internet, intranet, and back-end documentation.
- Created all documentation and the corporate intranet from fresh start.
- Oversaw two revisions of the corporate website along with day-to-day maintenance.
DoubleClick, New York, NY. October 1998 to November 1999.
- Employee. Technical Writer.
- Responsible for creating requirements documentation for front- and back-end systems.
- Created test plans, release notes, system diagrams.
- Responsible for QA departmental portion of intranet, from creation through maintenance.
Bayer Diagnostics, Tarrytown, NY. January 1998 to October 1998.
- Consultant. Requirements Engineer / Technical Writer. 9-month contract.
- High level design and requirements collection for hardware/software robotic medical equipment.
- Responsible for departmental portion of intranet, from creation through maintenance.
Dow Jones Markets, New York, NY. February 1997 to January 1998.
- Consultant. Requirements Engineer / Technical Writer.
- High-level design and requirements collection for database-driven, internet-based bond trading application.
- Close involvement with QA, writing of test plans.
- Created, maintained Development Team intranet site, product demos.
Awards and Professional Memberships:
- Society for Technical Communications. Member since 2004.
- Carl Dunat Scholarship, CCNY History Department, May 2006. Awarded for general performance in City College History Department class work (cash prize).
- Oscar Lloyd Meyerson Prize, CCNY History Department, May 2005. Awarded for specific papers of excellence entered by professors into annual competition (cash prize).
- Harry Schwarz Award, CCNY Department of Computer Science, May 2004. Awarded for general performance in the Computer Science program (cash prize).
- Tau Beta Pi, Engineering Honor Society. Inducted May 2004.
- Secretary of the History Club, CCNY. 2004-05 school year.
Selected Publications and Demo Portfolio:
- See additional portfolio sample links in Extended Writing Samples menu.
- Additional written samples available upon request.